The Traverse Area Women Lawyers Association (WLA) is a committee of the Grand Traverse Leelanau Antrim Bar Association. Women in the legal profession face unique challenges. WLA seeks to advance the interests of women by reducing discrimination and promoting gender equality in the legal profession and in the broader community. You need not be a female lawyer to join WLA, you need only share our interest in supporting gender equality.
WLA offers a professional forum for discussion and education of issues facing local lawyers, provides for social networking among legal professionals, and undertakes community public service projects in our community.
Every year, WLA organizes events and facilitates opportunities for local attorneys to support each other in the practice of law, which includes maintaining a delicate balance between work and everything else. Our events include:
- Biannual Expungement Clinic: Hosted by Legal Services of Northern Michigan, co-sponsored by WLA. Please learn more by visiting the website here.
- Monthly "Lean In Circle" Lunch: Inspired by the movement following Sheryl Sandberg's book, Lean In, these lunches are last Friday of each month at Minerva's at noon. Please join us!
- CLE Programs: Recent topics have included treating a legal practice as a business and technological opportunities for a modern legal practice.
- Service Projects: WLA recently partnered with the Women's Resource Center to transform their entry into a welcoming space.
- Community Events: WLA sponsors movies and events related to equality and fairness for women and workers.
- Holiday Dinner: Members gather for a meal and to raise funds and supplies for the local baby pantry or other philanthropic causes.
- Network Opportunities: Members meet and support each other through social events, which leads to mentoring, referrals, and important and valuable personal connections.
- R&R Night: Annual event with wine, appetizers and optional salon services, usually the week before TCAPS spring break (mid-March).
To join, or for more information, please contact Mallory Donick, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To support a WLA project, please click here for our WLA PayPal donation option.
Thanks for your generosity!
WLA Officers (2018-2019):
President: Mallory Donick
Vice President: Caroline Gersch
Treasurer: Wendy Bailey
Secretary: Caroline Gersch
Community Service Project Coordinator: Alyssa Wyklige
WLA Fall 2017 Service Project at the Women's Resource Center:
Before & After Photos: