The Women Lawyers Association (“WLA”) is a committee of the Grand Traverse Leelanau Antrim Bar Association. Women in the legal profession face unique challenges. WLA seeks to advance the interests of women by reducing discrimination and promoting gender equality in the legal profession and in the broader community. You need not be a female lawyer to join WLA, you need only share our interest in supporting gender equality.
WLA offers a professional forum for discussion and education of issues facing local lawyers, provides for social networking among legal professionals, and undertakes philanthropic public service projects in our community.
Every year, WLA organizes events and facilitates opportunities for local attorneys to support each other in the practice of law, which includes maintaining a delicate balance between work and everything else. Our events have included:
- “Lean in” Lunches: Inspired by the movement following Sheryl Sandberg’s book, Lean In, these lunches are typically held monthly, with specific dates, times, and locations designated in the calendar beforehand.
- Service Projects: WLA has spearheaded service projects for several local organizations, such as flower planting at the Women’s Resource Center and trash/glass cleanup at The Village at Grand Traverse Commons.
- Charitable Donations: WLA regularly donates to various baby pantries and participates in Child & Family Services “Paper Angels” program.
- Community Events: WLA has sponsored movies and events related to legal equality and fairness.
- Networking Opportunities: In addition to lunches, the WLA regularly sponsors happy hours, walks, yoga sessions, and other social events that allows members to meet and support each other, leading to mentoring, referrals, and important valuable personal connections.
- Spa Night: An annual event with wine, appetizers, and optional salon services that is typically scheduled the week before Traverse City Area Public School’s spring break (mid-March).
- Holiday Dinner: End-of-year gathering wherein members gather for a meal to celebrate the holiday season.
To join the WLA, become a board member, share a suggestion, and/or ask a question, please contact one of the WLA Board members below.
WLA Board (2021-2022)